Volunteer with Us
FFGW is a network of volunteers–we have no shelter or other facility–not even an office! We are, quite literally, where our volunteers are. Everything we accomplish is thanks to people like you who share their time and talents to help the kitties! Email today to join us.
Our #1 volunteer need is caring for rescued cats and kittens in homes from rescue until adoption as though they were our own–except that FFGW covers the costs of veterinary care. Fostering is gratifying and enriching, and the heartbreak of saying goodbye to a beloved foster kitty is more than compensated by the satisfaction of knowing that you have made a difference in both a feline and human life. If you continue fostering, we then have a chance to save another life because of you. Fostering also allows you the opportunity to know more cats or kittens than you could in a lifetime of pet ownership. Please visit our fostering page or e-mail us for more information
If you have event planning experience, fundraising, marketing, or social media experience and are looking for an outlet for your talents, please contact us!
- Restaurant Nights at local restaurants
- Spring White Elephant Sale
- Summer Picnic
- Fundraising Parties (Silpada, 31 Gifts, etc.)
- Animal events like the National Capital Cat Show at the Dulles Expo Center
- Holiday Fair or Shopping Party
- Young Professional Happy Hours or Mixers
That’s in addition to our:
- Monthly and weekly Adoption Fairs
- Information tables
Other Volunteer Needs
- We need people with Excel and data-entry skills to update and maintain our mailing list! Please contact us for more information.
- Please send us your e-mail address and contact information so we can add you to our “friends of the felines” group list to inform you when help is needed
- Help out at an adoption fair! Our Leesburg fairs are held every week and our Reston fairs monthly from January to November at Just Cats Clinic. We need volunteers to help set up cages before the fair, talk to and counsel prospective adopters about possible matches during the event and to break down the cages at the end. See the schedule on the Adoption Fair page and e-mail if you’d like to join us!
- And finally…we welcome your ideas for supporting the FFGW! Step up and coordinate an activity to benefit FFGW: host a yard sale and donate the proceeds; make friends with your local pet store and ask them to donate broken or expired packages of cat food and litter; post information about FFGW or our cats on your community e-bulletin board–or anything you can think of to help us find more foster and adoptive homes and/or money to pay vet bills.
FFGW is a staunch supporter of Community Service and welcomes elementary, middle and high schoolers at all of our activities. Because we don’t have a facility, we can’t always accommodate young volunteers, but we make every effort to do so whenever we can. Please contact us and we’ll do our best to help you help the kitties. And here’s the ultimate community service project: get your parents involved and foster a cat or litter of kittens until adoption!
Thank you for your support — we are nothing without our volunteers!
Feline Foundation of Greater Washington
Formed in 1995, the mission of the Feline Foundation of Greater Washington is to provide necessary veterinary and loving foster care for every animal in our program, to find them permanent, adoptive homes where they will be treated with love and respect for the rest of their lives, to provide foster care for life if no adoptive home can be found, and to educate the public regarding responsible cat care. We are a 501(c)(3) organization (EIN 54-1749459).